Saturday, October 24, 2009

I wish so...insya Allah.

Bumper fruit harvest this season
According to John Keats, one of England's' greatest poets, autumn is a season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

Brunei has its season of fruits and this year, we seem to have a bumper crop.
The trees are laden with rambutans, taraps, longans and durians.
Fruit season is also a time when mums, dads and the kids pile into their Kijangs or Avanzas and head off for a few hours of fruit picking on their lands or in the jungle, where there is an abundance of fruits ripe and ready for picking.

When roadside fruit stalls spring up every few hundred yards along Brunei's major roads, you know it's fruit season in Brunei. The local fruits are succulent, nutritious and delicious. Health food never tasted so good.

Everyone has their own favourite fruit, but there is no doubt that durian, "the king of fruits", is Brunei's favourite. It has a special place in the hearts (and stomachs) of a great many Bruneians. The seeds of the durian can also be eaten, but you must cook them first. We had a durian at home yesterday. I hope to be able to move back into my house in a couple of days!

My personal favourite is the rambutan or hairy fruit. They seem to be extra juicy this year. My wife told me that the seeds can be eaten raw.

After eating one, I decided to check that out. According to Wikipedia, the seed is mildly poisonous when raw, but can be eaten when cooked. Well, so much for that! I hope I last long enough to see this article in print. (Borneo Bulletin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semester Break!

Assalamualaikum, good day everyone! Of late I've been busy juggling between work and study whilst also supervising them kids e-learning ...